Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Are you fully using your library?

If you are a student, I'm sure you have had to sign-out at least a few books from your school's library; I think it's a pretty safe assumption to say that these books were most likely for a research project of some sort.

As much as I love projects, only using the library for academic work is a poor utilization of this vast, vast resource.

What are you interested in? Assuming your answer did not involve that "My Humps" song, your library or one very close to you will most likely have resources relating to it.

What do libraries hold?
  • Academic texts outside your field
    • I've just started dabbling in philosophy (at an introductory level) with the help of some books here.
  • Historical texts/objects
    • There is a showcase of medical texts and tools used in the Renaissance era.
  • Music?!
    • Sheet music and even CDs can be found here.
  • Fiction
    • I just walked by 10 Orson Scott Card books in the Science Fiction section that I didn't even know existed until today.
  • Periodicals
    • Magazines! I love magazines, I eat them. But they can get a little pricey after a while. If you want variety and a low, low price, the library is your answer.
Other awesome characteristics?
  • Computers
    • There are tons of them, even at local libraries. You probably have a computer if you are reading this, but you can stay connected while you are at the library.
  • Quiet
    • Sometimes all you need to hear is the sound of silence.
  • People are nice, helpful and quiet
    • Librarians have a wealth of knowledge that people are under-utilizing, when given the chance they leap at the opportunity to help. Did you know that in professional institutions most librarians are Bachelors and/or Masters of Library Science?
  • Free!!
    • You don't have to pay money. Simple!
This is just the stuff that I have been noticing this term. There is much more to find -- I may post more about this later. So investigate what your library has to offer! You may find a new passion.

If you enjoyed these learning tips and motivational strategies, maybe you'll enjoy the other posts. Please bookmark this page (Ctrl-D) or check out the archive/categories to the right. Better yet, tell a friend! (Click the envelope below this.)

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Shan said...

I love the library. I am trying to organize an educational activity at Mississauga's Central Library this summer. It's hard though. My only complaint is that the public libraries in Mississauga (of the libraries I've been to) have very slow computers!

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger Diane Dehler said...

I have always loved libraries and this is a great post. The libraries in large Ca cities are wonderful and they are joined in a "link" system making possible a vast collection of materials.

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger Joshua Hwang said...

Ah, you've reminded me that you can often make requests for transfers of materials between libraries. Allowing all of us to fully utilize even more resources!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Danny Dang said...

You know what's totally a mindfuck Josh?

I just finished reading the Bean Quartet and finishing the Ender Quartet with Children of the Mind.

Too weird.

No joke. I just started reading the books 4 weeks ago.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Joshua Hwang said...

Oh man, I actually laughed out loud when I read that first line.

Clearly, we are inextricably linked. This is a sign. You should post again....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home